My main research focus is in natural language processing (NLP), with particular emphasis on machine learning approaches. I am especially interested in devising deep learning models to extract structured representations of knowledge from unstructured text. Specific areas of interest include:
- Learning representations of text
- Information extraction
- Sentiment analysis
- Deep learning
- Structured prediction
I’m currently a researcher at the Machine Learning Research Group of National ICT Australia (NICTA). From December 2013 to May 2014, I was a post-doc at Max Planck Institute for Informatics. From 2009 to 2013, I was a PhD student at Max Planck Institute for Informatics and University of Saarland, working with Prof Gerhard Weikum and Prof Rainer Gemulla. In 2008, I received my Diploma degree from the Computer Science Department at Technical University of Kaiserslautern.
- PhD in Computer Science, Max Planck Institute for Informatics, 2013.
- Diploma in Computer Science, Technical University of Kaiserslautern, 2008.
- Researcher, Machine Learning Research Group, National ICT Australia (NICTA) Canberra
- Adjunct Research Fellow, Research School of Computer Science, CECS, The Australian National University (ANU)
- Lizhen Qu, Gabriela Ferraro, Liyuan Zhou, Weiwei Hou, Nathan Schneider, Timothy Baldwin. “Big Data Small Data, In Domain Out-of Domain, Known Word, Unknown Word: The Impact of Word Representation on Sequence Labelling Tasks.” CoNLL. 2015.
- Lizhen Qu, and Bjoern Andres. “Estimating Maximally Probable Constrained Relations by Mathematical Programming.” arXiv preprint arXiv:1408.0838. 2014.
- Lizhen Qu. PhD Thesis: Sentiment analysis with limited training data. 2015
- Lizhen Qu, Yi Zhang, Rui Wang, Lili Jiang, Rainer Gemulla, Gerhard Weikum. “Senti-LSSVM: Sentiment-Oriented Multi-Relation Extraction with Latent Structural SVM.” Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics. 2014.
- Lizhen Qu, Rainer Gemulla, and Gerhard Weikum. “A weakly supervised model for sentence-level semantic orientation analysis with multiple experts.” Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. 2012.
- Yafang Wang, Bin Yang, Lizhen Qu, Marc Spaniol, Gerhard Weikum. “Harvesting facts from textual web sources by constrained label propagation.” Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management. 2011.
- Lizhen Qu, Georgiana Ifrim, and Gerhard Weikum. “The bag-of-opinions method for review rating prediction from sparse text patterns.” Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics. 2010.
- Yafang Wang, Mingjie Zhu, Lizhen Qu, Marc Spaniol, Gerhard Weikum. “Timely yago: harvesting, querying, and visualizing temporal knowledge from wikipedia.” Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Extending Database Technology. 2010.
- Qu, Lizhen, Christof Müller, and Iryna Gurevych. “Using tag semantic network for keyphrase extraction in blogs.” Proceedings of the 17th ACM conference on Information and knowledge management. 2008.