Australian Technology Park Laboratory
I am a Graduate Researcher at the School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia. I am also member of NICTA’s Software Systems research group and work under Business Adaptation and Interoperation research project . My research work is currently focused on:
- Elasticity and economics of web application's architecture on public cloud infrastructure
- Run-time monitoring and elasticity of web applications on public cloud infrastructure
Previously I've worked on:
- Business-Driven Decision-Making Solutions for Dynamic Adaptation of Web Service Composition
- Modeling and engineering of web service policies into design and run-time models of web service compositions.
I am also a part-time tutor for Web Application Engineering at CSE-UNSW.
NICTA office: +61 2 9376 2071 Mobile: +61 410 983 800
- Elasticity and economics of cloud-based applications
- Architecture and SLA management of cloud-based applications
- Business-IT engineering and management of service-oriented systems
- Automated support for dynamic business process management and adaptation
- Automated tools for Enterprise Services.
- Basem Suleiman, Sherif Sakr, Ross Jeffery, Anna Liu, On Understanding The Economics and Elasticity of Deploying Business Applications on Public Cloud Infrastructure, JISA, pp. 1-21, 2(3).
- Basem Suleiman, Carlos Eduardo da Silva, Sherif Sakr, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL: A GROUP-BASED SERVICE SELECTION FOR WEB-BASED BUSINESS PROCESSES. AINA Workshops 2011: 253-260
- Marcus Roy, Basem Suleiman, Dennis Schmidt, Ingo Weber, Boualem Benatallah, Using SOA Governance Design Methodologies to Augment Enterprise Service Descriptions. CAiSE 2011: 566-581
- Marcus Roy, Basem Suleiman, Ingo Weber, Facilitating Enterprise Service Discovery for Non-technical Business Users. ICSOC Workshops 2010: 100-110
- Fuyuki Ishikawa, Basem Suleiman, Kayoko Yamamoto, Shinichi Honiden, PHYSICAL INTERACTION IN PERVASIVE COMPUTING FORMAL MODELING, ANALYSIS AND VERIFICATION, the ACM International Conference in Pervasive Services (ICPS 2009), London, UK, July 13-17, 2009
- Basem Suleiman, Fuyuki Ishikawa, A CONSTRAINT-BASED APPROACH FOR DEVELOPING CONSISTENT CONTRACTS IN COMPOSITE SERVICES, 3rd International Workshop on Web Service Composition and Adaptation (WSCA 2009), IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS 2009), Los Angeles, USA, July 6-10, 2009.
- Basem Suleiman, MODELS AND ALGORITHMS FOR BUSINESS VALUE-DRIVEN ADAPTATION OF BUSINESS PROCESSES AND SOFTWARE INFRASTRUCTURE, Invited Poster, 31st International Conference in Software Engineering (ICSE2009)-Receiption and Posters,Vancouver, Canada, May 20-22, 2009.
- B. Suleiman, V. Tosic, "INTEGRATION OF UML MODELING AND POLICY-DRIVEN MANAGEMENT OF WEB SERVICE SYSTEMS", In the Proc. of Principles of Engineering Service Oriented Systems, (PESOS 2009), International Conference in Software Engineering (ICSE2009), Vancouver, Canada, May 18-19, 2009.
- Basem Suleiman, MODELS AND ALGORITHMS FOR BUSINESS VALUE-DRIVEN ADAPTATION OF BUSINESS PROCESSES AND SOFTWARE INFRASTRUCTURE, Doctoral Symposuim, 31st International Conference in Software Engineering (ICSE2009), Vancouver, Canada, May 18-19, 2009.
- Basem Suleiman, Vladimir Tosic, Eldar Aliev, NON-FUNCTIONAL PROPERTY SPECIFICATION FOR WRIGHT ADL. In the proceedings of IEEE 9th International Conference on Computing and Information Technology (CIT2008). Sydney, Australia, July 2008.
- Basem Suleiman, COMMERCIAL-OFF-THE-SHELF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK. In the Proceedings of19th Australian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC2008). Perth, WA, Australia. March 2008.
- Vladimir Tosic, Basem Suleiman, Hanan Lutfiyya, UML PROFILES FOR WS-POLICY4MASC AS SUPPORT FOR BUSINESS VALUE DRIVEN ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT OF WEB SERVICES AND THEIR COMPOSITIONS. In the Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International EDOC conference (EDOC 2007), Annapolis Maryland, U.S.A, December 2007.
- Basem Suleiman, Eldar Aliev, Vladimir Tosic, TIME-QUALITY METRIC MODEL FOR QUALITY MEASUREMENT OF WEB-BASED SYSTEMS. In the 14th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC2007), poster abstract sessions. Nagoya, Japan. December 2007.
- Vladimir Tosic, Basem Suleiman, Abdul Babar, SPECIFICATION OF BUSINESS VALUE WITH AND IN SOFTWARE PATTERNS. In the 1st International Workshop on Software Patterns and Quality (SPAQu'07). Nagoya, Japan. December 2007.
- S. El-Masri, B. Suleiman, A FRAMEWORK FOR PROVIDING MOBILE WEB SERVICES. In the Proceeding of the Second International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (IIT’05). Dubai, UAE, September 2005.
Awards & Scholarships
|July 2009 - Dec. 2009||EII-SAP PhD Research Visit||SAP Research||Research|
|Nov. 2008 - Feb. 2009||International Internship Program||National Institute of Informatics (NII)- Tokyo||Research|
|2008-2011||Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)||University of New South Wales (UNSW)- Australia||Research|
|2008-2011||NICTA Research Postgraduate Award (NRPA)||NICTA||Research|
|2008-2010||Monash Graduate Scholarship. (I declined the award as I accepted UNSW & NICTA awards)||Clayton School of Information Technology, Monash University-Australia||Research|
|2007-2008||The most Valuable Discussant (two times respectively)||Student research Conference, NICTA||Research|
|2005||Listed on the outstanding academic achievement list 2005||School of Computing & IT, University of Western Sydney (UWS)- Australia||Master course in Software Engineering|
|2005||Recognition letter of exceptional achievement in Master research project and other subjects||School of Computing & IT, UWS-Australia||Master course in Software Engineering|
|2002||Excellence prize- 1st/Best student of the college of Science and IT||College of Science & IT- Al-Isra University-Amman||Undergraduate course in Computer Science|
- Member of Australian Computer Society (MACS PCP)- 2006- Now.
- Student member of IEEE NSW- Australia, 2008- Now.
- Reviewer (WICSA 2011)- 9th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture, Boulder, Colorado, USA
- PC Member (ACIS 2010)- 21st International Conference on Information Systems, Brisbane, Australia
- PC Member (SOC-LOG'09)- 1st International Workshop on Service-Oriented Computing in Logistics 2009, part of the ICSOC-ServiceWave 2009 (ICSOC), Stockholm, Sweden 2th-27th November, 2009
- Program Committee (WSIPT’2009)-Web Security, Integrity, Privacy, and Trust workshop (NISS2009), Beijing, China June 30, July 2, 2009.
- Reviewer (PESOS 2009) - Principles of Engineering Service Oriented Systems Workshop 2009, 31st International Conference On Software Engineering (ICSE 2009), Vancouver, Canada, May 16-24, 2009.
- Reviewer (AINA2009)- The IEEE 23rd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA-09),University of Bradford, Bradford, UK, May 26-29, 2009.
- Reviewer (SNPD2008) - The Ninth ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking, and Parallel/Distributed Computing, Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, Thailand- August 6 - 8, 2008.
- Reviewer (MWS 2008) - The 2008 Middleware for Web Services (MWS 2008) workshop at 12 international IEEE EDOC conference, München, Germany- September 15-19 2008.
- Reviewer (ICWS 2008) - IEEE 2008 International Conference On Web Services, Beijing, China, September 23-26, 2008.
- Amazon Web Services development; SimpleDB, Cloud Watch & metrics, Auto-scaling policies, Relational Database Service.
- Web service modeling & development: XML, WSDL, SOAP, UDDI
- Business process modeling and execution: BPMN, WS-BPEL
- Eclipse modeling framework
- Apache Axis, Tomcat/JBoss and MySQL
- Database and object-oriented analysis and design
- Software engineering concepts and practices: software architecture, software metrics, software quality assurance activities and project management
- Web2.0: Ajax and java script
- Different software development languages: C++, C#/VB .NET, SQL/PL-SQL, XSLT & Java
I like tennis, table tennis, swimming, internet surfing & travelling.